Welcome to Bodzio Software Pty. Ltd.: We are based in Melbourne, Australia and have been developing loudspeaker system design software for personal computers since 1990. This site is intended to provide information about our WinXP™ program: BoxCad, and Windows7/64bit programs: SoundEasy and Ultimate Equalizer.
An Interview with Neville Thiele - By Steve Mowry,Voice Coil 2006.
SM: What do you see as the trends in loudspeaker design and development in the next ten years?
NT: Active loudspeakers with equalization, lower crossover frequencies, and more nearly omnidirectional radiation. They may not be trends but seem to me a better way of doing things ..
Introducing the Ultimate Equalizer
Example of The Ultimate Equalizer System Configuration Screen (BBM+CABS)
Major characteristics of Ultimate Equalizer system are
Example 1 - Simple, Stand-Alone, 44.1kHz/24bit Linear-Phase Stereo WAV Audio Server.
1. The above analogue system with ALC1150 codec is described in Audio Server paper.
Example 2 - Full Digital Solution - AES/EBU 96kHz/24bit Linear-Phase Stereo Playback System
1. The above digital system is described in AES/EBU System paper.
2. Inexpensive SPDIF DAC is evaluated in AES/EBU Converter paper.
3. Using SPDIF output to create a 10-channel system with Delta1010LT and concept of a SPDIF amplifier is shown in SPDIF Amplifier paper.
Example 3 - Hybrid System - Analogue / AES/EBU Linear-Phase 5.2HT Playback System
1. The above Hybrid Analogue-AES/EBU system is described in Hybrid
2. Details of construction of 5.2 UE system is described in AES_EBU_Amplifier_Construction paper.
3. Evolutionary approach to expanding UE systems is described in AES_EBU_System_Evolution paper.
Example 4 (early prototype) - Linear-Phase HT5.2 Loudspeaker System with Analogue Amplifiers
Introduction - Some
comments on motivation for developing the above system.
Chapter 1. Subwoofers , Subwoofer Construction - Testing of Linear-Phase and Minimum-Phase versions of a subwoofer with McCauley 18" 6174 driver. Construction of the subwoofer
Chapter 2. Front Speakers , Measurements - Construction details of the front two-way loudspeaker. Also, measurement results.
Chapter 3. Centre Speaker , Measurements - Centre speaker design considerations. Also, measurement results.
Chapter 4. Rear Speakers , Measurements - Construction details of the rear two-way loudspeaker. Also, measurements results.
Chapter 5. Amplifiers , Amplifier Construction - Conceptual stage of developing multi-channel amplifier for THX-capable, 5.2HT system. Also, details of construction
Chapter 6. Setbacks and Surprises - Handy hints
Chapter 7. Alternative Amplification - Some simple examples of other amplification solutions.
Chapter 8. Remote Control - 19-function remote control.
Conclusions , Updates - A few things worth remembering. Also, up-to-date progress.
Ultimate Equalizer 6.0 - Digital - 8 Partitions and 16 Partitions with WAV Player have been released
For full description of the program features, please download PDF manuals below. This release is recommended for i7-960, 3.2GHz processors. Please note, that our software is periodically reviewed and fixes are implemented as an ongoing process.
List of improvements in Ultimate Equalizer V6
The UE includes inverse-HBT equalization, time-inverse processing that eliminates phase distortion, crossover filtering, and partitioned convolution. Equalization of the individual drivers response to the user specified acoustic target is performed automatically with the click of a button. The outcome is a transient perfect speaker system with flat amplitude and phase responses that faithfully reproduces any input signal relative to the design point, as demonstrated by the ability of the speaker system to play undistorted square waves. Shelving and notch filters are included to voice the speaker to other than ruler flat response and the time-inverse processing and be switched on or off as desired. Recommended sound card is LynxAES16 and Delta1010LT (capable of WASAPI technology in Exclusive Mode). This stand-alone, fully self-containing program includes ALL functions, that you need to create your "DSP-on-PC" system. The UE-PC incorporates Room Equalizer and large 5.1 Home Theatre option (8in/16out). The program includes self-starting option, so you can arrange your PC to start running UE on power-up, and thus have the whole program up and running by pressing "Power ON" button on your PC case. Latest release includes 19-function remote control via wireless keyboard.
Ultimate Equalizer V6.0 files:
UE_Manual WASAPI - Complete manual for Ultimate Equalizer V5 - WASAPI
UE_Manual MME - Manual's Addendum for Ultimate Equalizer V5 - MME, MME-Lite
UE_Manual_Digital - Manual's Addendum for Ultimate Equalizer V6 - Digital
Copy Protection: USB dongle.
Ultimate Equalizer in AES
Ultimate Equalizer was presented to AES Melbourne Section on
14th April 2014. Report (including PDF file with the
presentation) is available from this AES website:
http://www.aesmelbourne.org.au/2014/04/19/meeting-report-april2014/ and this website: http://www.aes.org/sections/reports/?ID=1567
Some papers related to Ultimate Equalizer Technology are listed below
1. For a short introduction to the program,
please read "Ultimate
Equalizer Technology" paper.
2. Example of an audio server + UE system utilizing several input sources is shown in Signal Routing Example paper.
3. Using audio server + UE with SPDIF to create full-digital, 96kHz/24bit stereo chain is explained in UE4 And SPDIF paper.
4. SNR in motherboard codec is examined in Computers And SNR paper.
5. Loudspeaker design in 3D - frequency, time, space is reviewed in Attributes Of Linear-Phase Loudspeakers paper.
6. Pre- and Post-ringing of the Impulse Response are reviewed in Pre- And Post-Ringing Of Impulse Response paper.
7. PC motherboards with 2 / 3 / 4 PCI slots, 8-channel audio codec, LGA1366 / LGA1155 / LGA2011 sockets are reviewed in PC Motherboards paper.
8. Some comments on AES Technical Council Document AESTD1001.1.01-10 are presented in AES_Document_Comments paper.
9. Brief comparison between a DSP equalized loudspeaker and a popular waveguide loudspeaker is shown in Frequency_Time_Evaluation paper.
10. Phase Errors due to Digitization are explained in Digitization Errors paper.
11. On-axis and off-axis performance of DSP equalized loudspeakers are reviewed in HT_Loudspeakers_SPL_Polar_Comparison paper.
12. Latency in SPDIF DACs is examined in Latency_In_SPDIF_DACs paper.
13. Issues in Inverse Filters are discussed in Comments_On_Kirkeby_Method paper.
14. 8 digital LPCM channels from motherboard paper.
The Ultimate Equalizer is available from Bodzio Software Pty. Ltd. for $150 - please see the email at the bottom of this site.
SoundEasy including EasyLab
SoundEasy v19.0 has been released. Now shipping for Windows 7/64bit, 24-bit audio support and much more .
SoundEasy + EasyLab system is a complete modelling and measurement software package. ( for full description of the program features, please download the PDF manual below )
SoundEasy operates in time and frequency domains and models the complete design and advanced (Phase/SPL/Zin - constrained) optimisation process of multi-way loudspeaker system, including WMTMW arrays. The program allows for a complete characterisation of all drivers, including complex transfer function for sound pressure (amplitude frequency response) and input impedance. Direct data import functions from PC-based measurement systems are included. SoundEasy will even tell you if your imported phase is correct and will help you to correct it (using Hilbert-Bode Transform, HBT, during the import). Enclosure design includes 13 types of enclosures, including H/U Dipoles and handles multiple driver configurations. Up to 4 identical drivers can be placed on the front panel to analyse diffraction distortion and mutual radiation impedance. Large-signal analysis is provided and includes: BL(x) and Cas(x) non-linearity, port compression and thermal power compression effects. Our NEW, full-screen, scrollable, re-sizable CAD section of the program, handles all electronics of the passive/active system such as: complete and detailed passive or active crossover design, and time/frequency/impedance compensation circuits. The CAD system allows you to include advanced DSP components, like Linear Phase Filters, Time Delay Elements, and our own Super-Components, Mega-Components and Modular Crossover concepts, none of which can be implemented in standard, passive crossovers. 100 of popular filter/crossover types are built-in. Finally, complete system responses are obtained by taking into account mutual 3D alignment of the drivers on the front panel, including off-axis simulations, tilting and rotating drivers. As the Ray-Tracing Methods are really not suitable for low-frequency (below 300Hz) room modelling, we have implemented extensive evaluation of room and car cabin acoustics using Image Method and the powerful Finite Element Method for complex room geometries - ideal for 4 sub-woofer placement evaluation, including two dipole subwoofers. The FEM includes modelling of absorption at each node and allows you to include opened windows, carpets, heavy drapes, (any size) etc. in your analysis. The program is quite large. It contains over 60 plotting screens/control boxes for modelling various design processes and a number of "calculators" for performing specific modelling functions. There are also numerous dialogue boxes for customizing plotting and display functions. The program includes support for design and optimization of Transient Perfect crossovers. Small-Thiele loudspeaker model has been expanded by using FEM to model enclosure resonant modes.
1. CAD-based Digital Equalizer has been implemented to enable perfect filtering with simultaneous equalization of ANY irregularities of SPL response curve. This has been accomplished by modifying the targeted filter transfer function by the inverse SPL response of the driver, and at the same time cancelling the parasitic "tails"of the SPL using Hilbert-Bode Transform. Our Equalizer allows you to audition your favorite audio-CD via the sound card and also includes simulating propagation delays due to different spatial location of the acoustic centers of drivers. This feature is significantly more advanced than typical Digital Filter - see SoundEasy Reference Manual, Chapter 9 for details. Filters and Equalizers up to 2x4-way can be constructed and evaluated with suitable, MME-compliant sound card.
2. Digital Room Equalizer (DRE) allows you to step out of the loudspeaker box and do something constructive with your room acoustic. The DRE is a HBT-based, minimum-phase equalizer, designed to put "final touches" on your room transfer function. It includes full-screen SPL pixel editor for precise modifications to your measured SPL curves and other processing tools. Please see SoundEasy Reference Manual, Chapter 19 for details. Will run on most 16-bit, full duplex, stereo sound cards.
3. System Phase Equalizer works with already built loudspeakers and allows you to remove all phase delays due to enclosure and crossover frequency responses. Loudspeaker equalized this way will reproduce square wave reasonably well, depending on amplitude irregularity. Please see SoundEasy Reference Manual, Chapter 19 for details. Will run on most 16-bit, full duplex, stereo sound cards.
4. Advanced System Phase Equalizer. In addition to (3), the Advanced System Phase Equalizer also equalizes the amplitude response of the loudspeaker system. When operated with a loudspeaker system, you will be able to flatten the amplitude AND phase of the complete system. Loudspeaker equalized this way will reproduce square wave perfectly. Please see SoundEasy Reference Manual, Chapter 19 for details. Will run on most 16-bit, full duplex, stereo sound cards.
5. Bass Synthesizer. This is a sub-octave bass synthesizer generating first sub-harmonic of the lowest bass note present in the music material played through the synthesizer. The resulting bass output is user adjustable and is perfect way to give your subwoofers something to do. You can also write your own WAV files, while the bass synthesizer is working, so you can modify your favourite music, giving it tonal balance of your choice. Please see SoundEasy Reference Manual, Chapter 19 for details. Will run on most 16-bit, full duplex, stereo sound cards.
6. Digital Filter (FIR implemented as Fast Linear Convolution, and also as Partitioned Convolution ) function has been provided for auditioning your crossover design via sound card. Our implementation includes simulating sound propagation delays due to different spatial location of the acoustic centres of drivers. You can also write your own, and read WAV files. Please see SoundEasy Reference Manual, Chapter 9 for details. Filters and Equalizers up to 2x4-way can be constructed and evaluated with suitable, MME-compliant sound card.
EasyLab - Advanced is an expanded section of the SoundEasy program, dedicated to frequency and time domain measurements of the driver and room acoustics. The system incorporates digital (MLS and pre-emphasized MLS) measurement system that has been implemented for measuring SPL and Zin. Both methods include powerful post-processing functions, including amplitude/time zoom-in on Impulse Response, scroll Impulse Response and analog input buffer, HB Transform for easy determination of acoustic center of the driver. Dual Channel Oscilloscope with built-in 6 signal generators: Sine Wave, Square Wave, Pink Noise, White Noise, Two-Tone and Tone-Burst. Next, Spectrum Analyser with various screen control option (including Warped FFT), THD display, and the same set of signal generators. Cumulative Spectra Decay (CSD) Analyser now includes Tone-Burst Waterfalls as well. There is also a Small-signal (T/S) and Qb extraction screen using Delta Mass and Delta Compliance methods, RLC Measurement screen, Distortion Analyser, including estimation of non-linear coefficients of BL(x), K(x) and Le(x) using truncated Volterra series expansion method, and finally, advanced Non-linear Parameter Measurement screen and modeller based on driver's differential equations and numerical differentiation. EasyLab employs extensively MLS-type of test signals, Hilber-Bode Transforms and curve-fitting methods in it's measurement system. "Curve Arithmetic" function for Digital and Analogue measurement functions is also provided. Your SPL field measurements can be saved as a raw-data files, so that you can perform all post-processing and presentation functions later, at your convenience - see SoundEasy Reference Manual, Chapter 16 & 17 for details. Tone burst testing method is also implemented. The next addition to the EasyLab system is RT60 measurement capability. The system incorporates Schoeder Backward Integration and two methods for noise reduction: Truncated and Subtracted. THD/IMD measurement system and Cepstral Deconvolution have been added recently, and finally, a Matching Filter Technique has been implemented, in this release. Cepstral Deconvolution and Matching Filter Technique both allow reconstruction of measured, echo-contaminated, low-frequency response of a loudspeaker system.
BoxCad is a sophisticated software tool (separate program) focused on enclosure analysis using acoustic impedance models and electrical impedance models - highly recommended for advanced designers. 10 models are built-in for your convenience, but you can let your imagination fly and invent an esotheric enclosure and analyse it using BoxCad - unlike using other loudspeaker modeling programs, you are NOT restricted to built-in enclosure models. Again, frequency and time domain analysis is available. The results of the analysis can be combined with active/passive circuits designed with built-in electronic CAD system. And yes!, you can model Passive Radiator Band-Pass enclosures of any type with BoxCad. If you are concerned with vent non-linearitiy during turbulent flow - perhaps PR system will satisfy your requirements. And how about an Acoustic Cannon ?.
Sound Cards or Digital Crossovers
1. For usage with EasyLab measurement system - you will need full duplex, 16-bit sound card, such as SoundBlaster Live 5.1, Delta 410, Delta1010LT from M-Audio, Layla24 from Echo Digital Audio.
2. For Digital Filter and Digital Equalizer - we recommend more advanced cards such as, Delta 410, Delta1010LT from M-Audio, FireWire 410, from M-Audio, Layla24, Darla24, Gina from Echo Digital Audio will provide you with 2-in and 8-out configuration. Many standard sound card can also be used for 1x2-way system emulation
3. For Modular Crossover - we also recommend more advanced cards such as, Delta 410, Delta1010LT from M-Audio, FireWire 410, from M-Audio, Layla24, Darla24, Gina from Echo Digital Audio will provide you with 2-in and 8-out configuration. Also, you can remotely program Behringer DCX2496 (V1.14) Digital Crossover using this functionality.
The V19.0 release is our most powerful and easy to use upgrade to date and introduces a number of significant changes. This release is recommended for i7-960, 3.2GHz processors. Please note, that our software is periodically reviewed and fixes are implemented as an ongoing process. Subsequent Reference Manual changes are uploaded to this website.
Copy Protection: USB dongle.
SoundEasy Design Guide by John Kreskovsky, is now available from Music and Design - http://www.musicanddesign.com. This is a "must read" for anyone interested in SoundEasy program and loudspeaker design and measurement.
Please review EasyLab capabilities, summarized in this file, and SoundEasy advanced algorithms summarized in this file.
BoxCad V4.0 Manual:
Chapter 1 - Introduction - Overview of the
program and general specs
Chapter 2 - Operation - Entering data, using CAD and general operation
Chapter 3 - Background - Acoustical tools needed for this program
Chapter 4.1 - Theory - Enclosures - 10 enclosures detailed acoustical impedance schematics
Chapter 4.2 - Theory - Enclosures
Chapter 4.3 - Theory - Enclosures
Chapter 4.4 - Theory - Enclosures
Chapter 5 - Powered Subwoofer - Design example of powered subwoofers
Chapter 6 - Examples - Just a couple of examples
SoundEasy V19.0 Reference Manual:
Chapter_1 - Introduction - Overview of the
program and software functions performed. (NEW)
Chapter_2 - Editor Screen - Entering driver's data, complex transfer function, impedance models used, suspension systems, enclosure dimensions.
Chapter_3 - Importing Data Files - IMP, CLIO, LMS, DAAS32, MLSSA, includes exporting data as well.
Chapter4.1, Chapter_4.2 - Enclosure Design Screen - 13 types of enclosures, small and large signal analysis, lots of plots.
Chapter_5 - Enclosure Optimization - Sealed, vented and band-pass enclosure optimizations.
Chapter_6 - Enclosure Response To Rectangular Function - 13 enclosures in time domain, includes impulse, square wave.
Chapter_7 - Car Acoustics - Finite Element Method (FEM) used to solve low-frequency car interior problems
Chapter_8 - Using CAD System - Introduction to our powerful, full-screen electronic CAD system.
Chapter_9 - Filter And Crossover Design - Passive / active / digital FIR networks, built-in filters, Linear Phase Filters, MC, crossovers and networks.
Chapter_10 - Filter And Crossover Optimization - Advanced optimization of filters or complete crossover. Includes Conjugate impedance Opt.
Chapter_11 - Crossover In Time Domain - Time domain response of the crossover/filter
Chapter_12 - System Response Module - 3D placement of drivers on front baffle, off-axis simulation and tilting drivers, vertical and horizontal plots. (NEW)
Chapter_13 - System Optimization - Complete system optimization, including off-axis and tilting drivers.
Chapter_14 - Room Acoustics - Image Method employed in low-frequency range to solve speaker placement. Also some theory.
Chapter_15 - Finite Element Method - FEM theory and several of applications of this method to predict speaker placement in non-rectangular rooms.
Chapter_16.1 , Chapter_16.2 - EasyLab Advanced [Linear] - Operation of all analogue and digital measurement screens Good examples of HB Transform usage .( NEW)(NEW)
Chapter_17 - EasyLab Advanced [Non-Linear] - Two methods for extracting non-linear parameters and one non-linear modeller.
Chapter_18 - Recommended Design Sequence - Good overview of processes and program's applicability. Also, some computer issues discussed.
Chapter_19 - DSP section. Includes Ultimate Equalizer.
You are also warmly invited to join our User's eGroup. Upgrades from 16.0/17.0/18.0 are available directly from Bodzio Software via email. Please contact us via email for your own copy. Payments options are explained in more details on the User's eGroup site.
Here are some of the users of SoundEasy package.
1. John Kreskovsky, is hosting "Music and Design" website with a numbers of references to SoundEasy. Please visit: http://www.musicanddesign.com
2. Chad Gray, invites you to visit http://chadgray.info/soundeasy, where you can find cool SoundEasy tutorials he has made. Chad can help you with woodworking too.
3. John Krutke from from "Zaph Audio" http://www.zaphaudio.com is another skilled user of SoundEasy.
4. George Soong is a very active member of our User's Group. Please vist his http://augene.blogspot.com/
Distributors of SoundEasy and BoxCad programs are:
1. Golden Age
Music AB, Vitalisgaten 23, S-441 43 Alingas, Sweden. Phone: +46 322 66 5050, Fax: +46
322 66 5051
2. W.A.R Audio 203/396 Scarborough Beach Road, Osborne Park, 6017 WA, Australia. Phone: +619 242 5538, Fax: +619 445 2579
3. AKKUS, ul. Kochanowskiego 17/66, 84-200 Wejherowo, Poland. Phone: +48 (058) 6723241, 0501 173793, Fax: +48 (058) 6774036
4. E.A.M. - Eletro Acústica Mass , Rua Vinte e Um de Abril, 850 - Center, 15801-170 - Catanduva - Estate Sao Paulo, Brazil. Phone: +55 17 3523 2728
5. Parts Express Inc., 725 Plesant Valley Dr. Springboro, OH 45066, USA. Phone: +937-743-3000, Fax: +937-743-1677
6. Roppongi Kougaku Limited, 4-4-11, Roppongi, Mianto-ku, Tokyo, JAPAN. Phone: +81-3-3402-5567, Fax: +81-3-3-3402-5563
7. Cyrus Systems Technology Limited, PO Box 2-90, Taichung, Taichung City 40399, TAIWAN R.O.C., Phone:+886-4-2531-2506, Fax: +886-4-2531-8884
With our thanks to the Speaker Builder, Voice Coil and audioXpress publishers, you can now enjoy some of our articles on-line.
1. "Active Equalisation of Loudspeakers" in Speaker Builder,
Issue 2 1997, based on BoxCad V1.1 capabilities..
2. "Computerized Loudspeaker Placement Part I" in Speaker Builder, Issue 1 1998, based on SoundEasy V3.00.
3. "Computerized Loudspeaker Placement Part II" in Speaker Builder, Issue 4 1998, based on SoundEasy V3.10.
4. "Low Frequency Acoustics of the Open Plan House". Based on SoundEasy V3.20.
5. "Loudspeaker Diffraction Distortion and Radiation Impedance" in Voice Coil, Volume 13, Issue 9, 1999. Based on SoundEasy V3.20
6."The Auto Passenger Compartment as a Listening Room". Published in Speaker Builder, Issue 1, 2000. Based on SoundEasy V3.30.
7." How Good Is Your Port". Published in audioXpress, September 2001.
8."Subwoofer Placement in NonRectangular Rooms". Published in audioXpress, Issue 9, September 2002.
9."Multi-Way Transient Perfect Crossovers". Some ideas on implementing transient perfect crossovers in SoundEasy
10. "Acoustic Centre Evaluation". Locating AC using Hilbert-Bode Transform.
11. "Cone Break-Up Effects". Modelling of cone break-up using FEM.
12. "TS Extraction Accuracy". Discussion of some aspects of TS parameters extraction.
13. "Synthesized Bass". in audioXpress, Volume 41, Number 3, March 2010
14. "A Loudspeaker That Can Play Square Waves?". in audioXpress, Volume 41, Number 6, June 2010
15. Break_Up_Investigation Measurement Phase investigation in the break up region.
16. Approximate Minimum-Phase measurements of loudspeaker's phase response.
17. Adaptive Windows in MLS measurements.
18. MLS_Vs_Sine Possible calibration process for MLS system.
Bodzio Software Pty. Ltd.,
91 507 372 505
PO BOX 2345,
Rowville, 3178 VIC, Australia.
Fax: +613 9 755 7708 (International), or (03) 9 755 7708 (within Australia)
Phone: +613 9 755 7707 (International), or (03) 9 755 7707 (within Australia)
Copyright © 1998-2015 [Bodzio Software Pty. Ltd.]. All rights reserved.
Last update 7 - January - 2015.